Discussion 1: Medical Staff Performance” Should you observe a member of a medical staff conducting illegal or unethical practices, describe the steps that you would take to bring this conduct to the proper authorities. Then, assume you were the chief administrator of a medical firm. Determine who would be the proper authority. Provide your rationale. Peer review is generally the way that medical facilities assess medical staff performance. Create an alternative method for performance reviews that would not rely upon peer involvement. Discussion 2: “Emergency Situations” If you were a medical professional and came across an individual needing immediate aid, determine how the Good Samaritan Law might affect your willingness to assist. Then discuss an actual case where the law did not apply to the hero. You just received a patient in the emergency room for a broken leg which requires immediate surgery. Your hospital is able to provide the surgical services required. However, the patient is refusing care and requesting to be transferred to another hospital for the same services. Explain the course of action that the hospital should take to meet the standards of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA).
Originally posted 2018-06-22 11:53:17. Republished by Blog Post Promoter
As economics becomes a greater part of the national political scene in countries around the world, it’s also becoming part of pop culture. From the U.S. economic crisis to the Eurozone issues, comedians, artists, and songwriters are all weighing in with their feelings and thoughts on economic issues.On your own, research different examples of economics appearing in pop culture over the last five years. Choose one that particularly resonates with you and post a link to the discussion board so other students can view your example. When you post, answer these questions: Why did you choose this particular example of economics in pop culture? Why did it resonate with you?What do you think the creator was trying to express, and how did s/he accomplish that?What are some of the benefits of using this method of political/economic speech? Some of the pitfalls?Do you think this is an effective way for this artist to send his/her message? Why or why not?
Discussion, After read “Eveline”One of the themes of Joyce’sDublinersis the tension between paralysis and epiphany. In may ways, you could say that “Araby” ends with an epiphany: the narrator realizes that he has been thinking of his own vanity instead of truly trying to make his sweetheart happy, he realizes too that he lives in a materialistic world and that this is part of growing up. “Eveline,” on the other hand, ends in a kind of paralysis. She is unable to move even though Frank is calling to her to join him. Look through the story and note all the various places around the world that are referenced. Also, look at the various places on the Google Map (another part of the Mapping Dubliners Project) in the “Eveline” category. The “Eveline” locations are all purple-ish/blue-is with a black dot. They start with Belfast. What do you think is the point of placing so many broad and varied global references in a story where the main character is frozen at the end, unable to move or leave her native Dublin? (Notice how many “Araby” place references are inDublin where the story takes places, for instance)What are some other observations you have when you look at the map (upload file) of the “Eveline” locations (eithr on their own or in cmparison with the other stories)?Write at least 200 words.
Read the weekly discussion prompt. Post your initial response to the discussion forum by Wednesday at 11: 59 PM EST. Respond with three to five relevant sentences, use a professional tone, and express complete thoughts with proper grammar and punctuation. Read all of the initial responses from your classmates and your instructor’s posts. Reply to at least two (2) classmates’ posts OR a classmate’s post and one post from the instructor bySunday at 11: 59 PM EST. Do not post the same response to more than one classmate. Your two (2) responses must be on two (2) different days and not on the day of your initial discussion post. Reply with three to five relevant sentences to promote further dialogue, use a professional tone, and express complete thoughts with proper grammar. Students may choose to post a written response, an audio file or a video recording to complete this part of the assignment. Every week you will post a minimum of three (3) times on three (3) different days. Discuss the Following: Mrs. Harlan is the wife of an active duty service member who is enrolled in TRICARE Standard. She has battled postpartum depression since the birth of her second child, two months earlier. She has decided to seek the services of a mental health professional. Describe the process she must follow for these services to be covered by TRICARE Standard?Do you think it’s fair that insurance coverage for mental health benefits differ from those of major medical benefits? Why or why not?
Discussion1 : Should firms hedge? A number of firms practice hedging and use derivatives to manage risk and change risk exposure. Some people argue firms should stick with their core business (i. e airlines should concentrate and on operating airlines). What do you think, should firms hedge? Why or why not?
Use the NSU online library (and/or the Internet) to look up and read articles assigned for Week Six. Answer the following questions. Answer the following questions. 1. Discuss a real-life example of a virtual team. This can be from your own experience or one that you have researched. 2. Analyze being an effective leader in a virtual environment making specific reference to the Tworoger et. al. article and your textbook. What are the competencies needed to be an effective team leader considering distance and diversity of membership?3. Analyze the constraints and complexities to leadership posed by this environment. The leadership triad consists of the leader, the follower, and the situation. Only recently has followership theory been examined. Just like we all have leadership roles and opportunities, we are all followers at various times in our personal and professional lives. Look at the Potter and Rosenbach Followership Model on page 321. Give us a brief description of the characteristics and behaviors a subordinate, contributor, politician, and partner follower would exhibit. What can leaders do to build more “Partners?” Few would deny that a leader’s ability to motivate followers is key to effectiveness. Your text goes into five motivation theories in detail: Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, McClelland’s Achievement Theory, Goal Setting, Reinforcement Theory (Operant Approach) and Empowerment. Which do you personally like best in terms of its practical application to leadership and its implications for leadership? Pick one and tell us what leaders can extrapolate from this theory to make them more effective leaders.
1). It’s no secret that U. S. manufacturing has been a focus of concern for several years or that the U. S. has a huge trade deficit with China. As the economy continues to linger in the doldrums, economists are getting more and more insistent about what they think the answers are to our domestic economy’s problems. Take a look at a virtual showdown between two respected economic writers: Ryan Avent, who blogs for The Economist’s “Free Exchange” blog, and Tim Duy, a University of Oregon economics professor who runs the blog “Tim Duy’s Fed Watch. “The online debate began when Avent took issue with some of Duy’s posts on global trade imbalances, calling them “fairly poorly reasoned. ” Duy responded, and then Avent responded back. It’s the latter two posts you’ll be reading. First look at Duy’s . typepad. com/timduy/2010/07/pushback. html”>post (http: //economistsview. typepad. com/timduy/2010/07/pushback. html), “Push back,” where he takes on Avent’s arguments that manufacturing decline is exaggerated and not something economists need to worry about. Then read Avent’s . economist. com/blogs/freeexchange/2010/07/trade”>response (http: //www. economist. com/blogs/freeexchange/2010/07/trade) to Duy’s post, “Should America fear offshoring?” After you have read both, answer these questions: Summarize what you believe are each of the economist’s main arguments in a sentence or two. Find one statement you agree with and one you disagree with in each of the blog posts. Discuss the merits of each economist’s views on comparative advantage and conclude by stating which you agree with more and why. 2). You read about countries using tariffs to help domestic producers. But that’s not the only reason a country might place import tariffs on trade partners. Do some research and find some of the more interesting and/or unusual reasons countries have increased import tariffs. Post your discovery to the discussion board. Tell your classmates what the situation was that brought about the change in tariffs, if it has been resolved (and if so, how), and what you think about the efficacy of this type of tariff in changing a trading partner’s economic “behavior. ” When you post, also include a link or two so other students can read about the tariff you’re posting about.
“Don’t Miss the Mark” Please respond to the following: Watch the following videos: .ytimg.com/vi/lYX04wiMYmQ/1.jpg” alt=””> Watch Video Small Business Success Story: Heart Juice Heart-Healthy BeverageDuration: (3: 12) YouTube URL: http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYX04wiMYmQ.ytimg.com/vi/0-4ivPwMDCE/1.jpg” alt=””> Watch Video Non-alcoholic drinks-Iran-10-02-2011 Duration: (5: 54) YouTube URL: http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-4ivPwMDCEThere are two (2) very different target markets and sales forces discussed in the videos. Identify some of the key differences between the organizations’ sales forces and target markets. Please elaborate and provide detailed responses.Explain the value of developing a sales force based on the target market. Use examples from each video to support your response. Please provide details to support your points.
Classroom Discussion 1: Niall Ferguson, The War of the World, Introduction, Chapters 1-21. What is the main thesis of Ferguson’s work and why is it innovative and controversial?2. How and why did large-scale ethnic conflict destabilize and ultimately destroy Europe? (Be sure to discuss Ferguson’s arguments about: a. gene pools, b. diasporas, c. pales, d. memes, and e. miscegenation).3. What role did economic volatility play in perpetuating cycles of extreme violence?4. Why were empire-states susceptible to decay, leading to the decline of the west?5. What does Ferguson mean by the “Fifty Years War,” and why is this concept key to his argument?Chapter 1: Empires and Races1. “The world of 1901 was a world of empires, but the problem was their weakness, not their strength,” Ferguson, 10). List the names of five of the weakest world empires and explain the main problems each faced. Take care to survey the entire chapter for evidence.2. Why was Germany an area of Europe that seemed less likely to perpetrate the Holocaust than Austria or Russia?3. For what economic reasons were Jews targeted for persecution?4. What does Ferguson suggest about the German-Jew diaspora in Eastern Europe?Chapter 2: Orient Express1. Why is the war between Russia and Japan such an important launching point for Ferguson’s book? [Hint: Is this chapter more about Japan or Russia?]2. For Russia, what were the five main consequences of the war?3. One of the effects of the Russo-Japanese War was to reorient Russia’s imperial ventures to the _______.
Stress has been related to low fecundity (reproductive success) in all animal populations. Evolutionarily, the stress pathway that enables prey to escape predators and animals to evade danger can have harmful effects when activated over long periods of time. In populations of animals, limited resources and low nutrition trigger pathways of response to the long-term stressors associated with overcrowding that result in low reproductive success. Do a little research on infertility in the United States. How does the stress response relate to infertility in our modern population?
Do some research to define the terms enteric nervous system, and microbiome. Then read the article about the Gut-brain axis: How the microbiome influences anxiety and depression by Foster and Neufeld (2013) in Trends in Neuroscience. For this discussion, explain how our microbiome contributes to digestion, and how microbes can activate pathways in the CNS. How does this relate to digestion?
How accurate do you think a company’s estimates of the net present value of a proposed project are? Refer to both the initial investment and to the components of the cash flow: revenues, operating expenses, depreciation, taxes, and the cost of capital to use for the computation of the present value.
Primary Task Response:Within the Discussion Board area, write 400 600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas. There are differences between the termsleaderandleadership. There are various behavioral theories related to leadership. Kurt Lewin identified three (3) leadership styles: autocratic, democratic, and laissez-faire. Think about a leader whom you worked with in the past, and respond to the following in discussion:Discuss the characteristics of the leader. Is the leader’s style autocratic, democratic, or laissez-faire? Why or why not?How does this leader help his or her followers achieve the organization s goals?
Part I: Staffing ModelsUnderstanding the staffing requirements is crucial to the success of any organization. In order to be able to effectively address this task, the HR professional must become familiar with the various staffing models. Review the staffing models presented in the textbook. In your opinion, what merit is there, if any, in using more than one staffing model in a company or creating a hybrid model, which combines elements of several models? Mention each staffing model presented in the textbook and articulate the merits of each model. Then, discuss how you might create a hybrid model and explain the merits of such a model. Part II: SWOT Analysis of Electronic Recruiting ToolsWith access to the Internet, applicants can virtually apply for a job anywhere in the United States or in another country. Monster. com and Craigslist have strategically marketed themselves as one of the many electronic recruiting sources available to individuals seeking employment. Consider the impact of electronic recruiting tools, such as Monster. com, Craigslist, and others. Conduct a SWOT analysis of electronic recruiting tools in general, listing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of using these electronic tools. In order to do this task, visit and review at least two e-recruiting Web sites.
200-250 word each1. How could government regulations have prevented ormitigated the credit crisis of 2008?2. Discuss whether too much governmental regulation of business or too little governmental regulation of business presents the greater danger to: a. the greater good b. businessQSome argue that government needs to increase its regulation of business for the good of society as a whole, while others believe that the marketplace is self-regulating and that government intervention through needless regulation places an unfair, costly burden on businesses in generaland on small businesses in particular. What role do you believe government regulation should play to ensure ethical conduct by businesses? How do different political viewpoints potentially shape the answer to this question?
Discussion 1″Ethical and Legal Problems” Please respond to the following: Describe ethical and legal features associated with equity-based recognition plans and recommend how leaders can prevent such potential abuse. Discussion 2″Employee Benefits” Please respond to the following: From the e-Activity,select one type of employee benefit and report about how this specific benefit category is represented within the employment categories. For instance, you may choose retirement benefits and note the various industries which might be more inclined to provide that type of benefit. Debate how much inequity exists among the categories and justify your response with a specific example.
A new director decides to reorganize the department you work in. This reorganization comes about without input from the employees and many of the nurses that you oversee are feeling resentful of the change. As a nurse leader, identify factors that may lead to conflict and ways you can manage them. Q2Personal affiliation and networking are important for nursing leaders. Why are these important? How will they benefit you in your career future?
1. One way to understand criminal justice is to examine court cases that address important criminal justice matters. One such case is Miranda v. Arizona. It addresses what is commonly known as Miranda Warnings. In order to better understand cases, there is an analytical method that involves identifying the:IssueRuleAnalysisConclusionThe first step is identifying the issue. The issue is the question or questions that the court considered and answered in the case. Identify what issue the court considered in Miranda v. Arizona and why was the issue important. Why do you think the issue had to be resolved on appeal? Usually when an issue is resolved on appeal, there are differing opinions by the lower courts. 2. Sexual assaults at United States military academies have risen, yet victims have been hesitant to take action that would result in criminal investigation. Why do you think that this would be the case? Are there similar dynamics at play in sexual assaults outside of a military setting? If so, what are they?
1. Controlling is one of the four functions of management equally important as planning, organizing, and influencing even though our book really devotes little time and attention to it. Most management books do the same thing. I don t get it personally because I think it is such an important function and without it whatever managers do in planning, organizing, and influencing doesn t get measured and will never reach the highest level of effectiveness and efficiency. Reading about controlling in our book, can you explain, in your own words, why controlling is such an important component of the management process? What can you do as a manager to ensure that the control function is successful? (page 502). Let me start with a quote from another student in a previous semester. What gets measured, gets done2. While we study controlling last, it doesn t occur last. In real life, the four functions are not separate, individual steps, but are interwoven seamlessly into managerial decision making and action. Planning includes setting goals. Those goals become the performance that we measure in the controlling function. What do we want to achieve with this organization and how are we going to measure success? Did we run the race and come in first or last? Did we score enough points to win the game? Did we earn enough money to repay our loans? Did we make enough profit with our company that it is worthy of continuing or would it be better financially to go and work for someone else?Organizing can be measured too. Did we meet our production standards and make, on average, 100 widgets per day? Was the customer response time under 30 seconds? Did our managers live within their budgets? These are also important goals that need to be measured so fully understand our success or where we can make improvements. And can we measure the influencing function? Absolutely! What was the morale of our workforce? What was the general indication of the performance evaluations? How was turnover? How many sick days did people take? How many customer complains did we receive about our associates? All of these are indications of a healthy or unhealthy workforce. Measuring our progress generally means measuring lots of goals not just one. How could we measure the achievement of reaching our mission statement without measuring lots of different things? Generally those things we measure can be categorized into the other three functions of management? How are we managing in the achievement of our goals?Think of an example of the control function in your workplace or in your life and share it with your fellow students. Be sure to discuss how it relates to one or more of the other functions of management and what exactly was being measured. When my kids were in high school, like all parents, I wanted them to do well. How do you define well ? Some parents will say they want their kids to do the best they can . How do you define the best they can ? I always laugh at that! If you don t set a standard then it is easy for them to say I did my best . Did you stay up all night studying? Did you skip the party so you could do your term paper? Did you ask for help with editing? What is your best ? I don t think these are good standards and it makes it difficult to complete the control function. So in my household, all As and Bs was defined as success. Anything that was a C was not acceptable! In other households that may have a different set of circumstances, other standards may be more appropriate. So Step 1 was measuring academic performance from their report cards. Step 2 was comparing to the standard of all As and Bs. And Step 3, any Cs and corrective action took place. Without corrective action, there was no reason to believe that the outcome would change the next grading period. So if you don t define your goal, measure your achievement towards the goal, and then either change behavior or reinforcement behavior, you ll never achieve take positive steps to get closer to your mission. You ll be flying blind! What is your example?3. Our book talks about many potential measures, or standards. Think about the organization you work for and identify one standard they use. What is the standard? How is it measured? Do you think it is effective in guiding managerial decision making?What measure might you suggest as an additional measure for your organization?I ll give you an example of my own. At one point part of my responsibility was facilities maintenance. Basically that included grounds, custodial services, and mechanical repair and maintenance. It is really important for rooms in a college building to be clean and neat and present a good learning environment. I know you probably don t think much about it but when you walk into a store, classroom, or office building, whether you consciously notice the condition of the facility or not, it does influence what goes on in the building! I would have loved to have had an opportunity to do a walk through every day to indicate how many rooms meet some established standard of clean and neat! If I could have given a good performance award for those custodians who continually met the standards, I think I could have not only improved our performance but also motivated others! Alternatively I could have isolated problems and changed processes and procedures to improve the performance in other buildings!Measure performance XX percent of rooms are clean, trash is out, desks are neat, boards are clean, walls and floors are clean. Compare to standards 100 percent?Take Corrective Action Identify the specific challenges where we did not meet the 100 percent and work with the custodian to change things that will help them reach the goal. 4. Do all measures have to be numbers or can they also be qualitative? I will argue that anything you give me qualitatively can be made into a number and that numbers are better measures?Agree or disagree? 5. One thing about the information we receive as part of the control process is that it must be timely and accurate. Why? What happens if it is not?
When and why was the Department of Homeland Security created? What is its mission and what are its law enforcement functions? Would any of your team members be interested in working for the Department of Homeland Security and if so, why?
Medical ErrorsAccording to Sollecito& Johnson (2013), Organizations do not suddenly start making mistakes. They tend to slide imperceptibly into a set of conditions that produce medical errors (p. 327). After completing this week s reading discuss this concept as it relates to quality patient outcomes. Answer the following questions:a. In your opinion, do you believe that errors in the hospital setting are inevitable? Why or why not?b. If the most frequent type of error is omitting a step in delivering care (Sollecito& Johnson, 2013, p. 312), would it be better to focus on the individual who omitted the step or the system in which they work? Explain your answer. c. What role could being a learning organization play in reducing errors? DQ_2Disclosure and LitigationComplete the week s reading and view the Safe Patient Project video about. youtube. com/watch?v=Jn2HqycmFX8&list=PLAF95D206E44D6D5C&index=3&feature=plpp_video”>Linda: Katy, TX, then answer the following questions:a. What was the error(s) in the case presented in the video?b. Why do you think the error(s) happened? What might the contributing factor(s) be in this situation?c. Imagine you are this patient’s physician and are meeting with the family member to describe what happened. How would you communicate the error? d. Do you believe there is a link between how the error was disclosed and the actions the family member took afterward? Explain your answer.
Today’s workforce is diverse and has multiple conflicting priorities. As a nurse leader, you would like to see your hospital implement an outreach program that will benefit needy members of the community. What are some methodologies of communication you would use to develop a shared vision with your stakeholders? How would you apply strategic management to make your visions for the outreach program become reality?
The events of September 11, 2001 and the threat of global terrorism may affect our view of the New World Order discussed in the text. How do YOU view the “New World Order” and the impact of the technological revolution, industrialization, population growth, changing social values, and the impact of religious conflict on how nations of the world should interact with one another? Explain what role nations such as the United States, China, France, Russia, Britain and others should play from a “Global Perspective. “
Summarize the events of a recent accounting scandal. Identify how the illegal/unethical act was detected and the punishments that resulted (fines, prison terms, etc. ). Consider what could have been done to detect this act earlier and what could have been done to prevent this from happening in the first place. Select a different example than those listed on previous posts.
As the Information Officer of your department, your Chief has assigned you the task of developing a program to educate schools, civic organizations, and other municipal agencies on the positive role the fire department plays in the community. Explain how the local fire department can partner with various municipal agencies and organizations.
Why do the authors propose that marks only reflect academic achievement, and not other factors like effort or attitude? Could including factors like these in the marking data affect instructional decisions that need to be made? Explain. Q2Explain quantitative item analysis and qualitative item analysis. What are their benefits to learning and assessment? What are the risks to learning and assessment if these types of analyses are not administered? Finally, provide two examples of imperfect test items for your peers to qualitatively analyze. Explain why you think it is necessary for teachers to use a combination of both qualitative and quantitative item analysis.
According to Sollecito& Johnson (2013), Organizations do not suddenly start making mistakes. They tend to slide imperceptibly into a set of conditions that produce medical errors (p. 327). After completing this week s reading discuss this concept as it relates to quality patient outcomes. Answer the following questions:. 25in;=”” 5pt;=””>a. In your opinion, do you believe that errors in the hospital setting are inevitable? Why or why not?b. If the most frequent type of error is omitting a step in delivering care (Sollecito& Johnson, 2013, p. 312), would it be better to focus on the individual who omitted the step or the system in which they work? Explain your answer. c. What role could being a learning organization play in reducing errors? DQ_2Disclosure and LitigationComplete the week s reading and view the Safe Patient Project video about. youtube. com/watch?v=Jn2HqycmFX8&list=PLAF95D206E44D6D5C&index=3&feature=plpp_video”>Linda: Katy, TX, then answer the following questions:a. What was the error(s) in the case presented in the video?b. Why do you think the error(s) happened? What might the contributing factor(s) be in this situation?c. Imagine you are this patient’s physician and are meeting with the family member to describe what happened. How would you communicate the error? d. Do you believe there is a link between how the error was disclosed and the actions the family member took afterward? Explain your answer.
According to Sollecito & Johnson (2013), Organizations do not suddenly start making mistakes. They tend to slide imperceptibly into a set of conditions that produce medical errors (p. 327). After completing this week s reading discuss this concept as it relates to quality patient outcomes. Answer the following questions:. 25in;=”” 5pt;=””>a. In your opinion, do you believe that errors in the hospital setting are inevitable? Why or why not?b. If the most frequent type of error is omitting a step in delivering care (Sollecito& Johnson, 2013, p. 312), would it be better to focus on the individual who omitted the step or the system in which they work? Explain your answer. c. What role could being a learning organization play in reducing errors? DQ_2Disclosure and LitigationComplete the week s reading and view the Safe Patient Project video about. youtube. com/watch?v=Jn2HqycmFX8&list=PLAF95D206E44D6D5C&index=3&feature=plpp_video”>Linda: Katy, TX, then answer the following questions:a. What was the error(s) in the case presented in the video?b. Why do you think the error(s) happened? What might the contributing factor(s) be in this situation?c. Imagine you are this patient’s physician and are meeting with the family member to describe what happened. How would you communicate the error? d. Do you believe there is a link between how the error was disclosed and the actions the family member took afterward? Explain your answer.
completing this discussion, read Chapter 13 from your course text. Select a health care organization and answer the following questions as they relate to your selected organization:
- What is your understanding of strategic planning and financial planning?
- What if financial planning is not aligned with strategic planning? What are the consequences?
Your initial post must be 300 to 350 words.
Guided Response: Challenge your peers to think about how often the plans should be reviewed and by whom. Are there health care organizations that are exempt from the planning process for various reasons? Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts.
1. Imagine investing hypothetical $10000 in a stock for example Apple. Based on the
price today you will know how many shares you can purchase. We will track your stock
and after one month determine whether you made money on your investment. I want you
to pick a stock you want to analyze. I would like you to calculate the following ratios for
your stock. The is called fundamental analysis. We want to find underpriced stocks (Price
< Intrinsic Value). The expectation is that stock price will converge to intrinsic value,
therefore if a stock is underpriced, its price in future should increase hence capital gain.
Ben Graham Screens
Calculate the following for your stock
a) if PE of the stock has to be less than the inverse of the yield on AAA Corporate
b) PE of the stock has to less than 40% of the average PE over the last 5 years.
c) Dividend Yield > Two-thirds of the AAA Corporate Bond Yield
d) Price < Two-thirds of Book Value
e) Price < Two-thirds of Net Current Assets
f) Debt-Equity Ratio (Book Value) has to be less than one.
g) Current Assets > Twice Current Liabilities
h) Debt < Twice Net Current Assets
i) Historical Growth in EPS (over last 10 years) > 7% No more than two years of
negative earnings over the previous ten years