Week 1 6446 Counseling Children and Adolescents
You must use the Readings
· Carr, A. (2016). Family therapy for adolescents: A research- informed perspective. Australian and New Zealand journal of family therapy, 37(4), 467-479.
· Clark, C. (2013). Irreducibly human encounters: Therapeutic alliance and treatment outcome in child and adolescent psychotherapy. Journal of Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 12, 228-243.
· Fitzpatrick, M. R., & Irannejad, S. (2008). Adolescent readiness for change and the working alliance in counseling. Journal of Counseling & Development, 86(4), 438–445.
· Boyatzis, C. J., & Junn, E. N. (2016). Annual editions: Child growth and development (22nd ed.). McGraw-Hill Education.
o Shulevitz, J., “ Why Fathers Really Matter” (p. 87) o Rosin, H. “The Overprotected Kid” (p. 91)
· Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Milestone checklists. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/pdf/checklists/Checklists- with-Tips_Reader_508.pdf
· Center on the Developing Child. (n.d.) Three core concepts in early development. Retrieved from https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/three-core- concepts-in-early-development/
· Center on the Developing Child (2007). The science of early childhood development (InBrief). https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/inbrief-science-of- ecd/
· Mercer, J. (2017). Evidence of potentially harmful psychological treatments for children and adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Social Work, 34(2), 107–125.
· NASW (2003). NASW Standards for the Practice of Social Work with Adolescents. Retrieved
from https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=rU t4ybE_GW4%3D&portalid=0
Assignment: Therapeutic Techniques With Children and Adolescents
Therapeutic interventions used with children and adolescents are sometimes different from therapeutic approaches used with adults. Usually adults can engage in an open dialogue about the issues that bring them into counseling. Children and adolescents, however, may be less likely to speak openly or less directly about their issues, so counselors must consider using therapeutic techniques that are more appropriate for that developmental stage.
For this assignment, review the media program Introduction to Child and Adolescent Counseling: Getting Started. Consider the developmental stages of the child and adolescent in the media program and any concerns from a family systems theory perspective. Also, conduct an Internet search or a Walden Library search for at least one peer-reviewed journal article that presents a family systems theory and another peer-reviewed journal article that relates to the use of art therapy with children and adolescents.
The Assignment (2–3 pages):
· Identify the behaviors that the child or adolescent is demonstrating that may be a concern to the counselor in the media.
· Identify two techniques that the counselor used with the child and explain why these techniques were appropriate for the developmental stage.
· Identify two techniques that the counselor used with the adolescent and explain why these techniques were appropriate for the developmental stage.
· Explain any concerns (including any ethical issues) from a family systems theory perspective of how you might as a clinician choose an intervention as appropriate for the family.
· Justify your explanations with evidence-based research.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the week’s resources for this course.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more