Jidaigeki: Period Dramas in Japan
Choose ONE of the following questions, develop a well-defined and original thesis, and discuss it in detail in
an essay of 5-8 pages, typed and double-spaced. There are two basic requirements that your paper must
follow. 1) You must include a close and careful film analysis of a segment or segments, and 2) you must use
this analysis to advance your argument.
1. Compare and contrast Sadao Yamanaka’s use of jidaigeki in Humanity and Paper Balloons with
Toshio Matsumoto’s take on jidaigeki in Pandemonium. How do they address the political and social
realities of 1930s and early 1970s Japan respectively? You may focus on a few recurring themes (e.g.
money, class, code of honor).
2. Discuss “Americanism” in Hibari’s Ishimatsu and reflect on the film’s social and cultural meanings
by drawing on at least two course readings. Be as specific as possible with your examples.
3. Discuss cinematic constructions of masculinity in two films of your own choosing. You may focus
on how the films portray the main male character(s)’s bodies and actions and consider how the films’
formal and stylistic features contribute to your perception of their masculinity.
4. Discuss the use and abuse of history in at least two jidaigeki films shown in class, and consider their
political and ethical implications. What kind of strategies do they use to produce a sense of “pastness”?
Be sure to draw on course readings, and make sure to support your argument with cinematic
1. Please prepare your paper in doc./docx., pdf, or rtf format.
2. If you would like to receive comments on your final paper, please indicate so.
3. Please do not include any identifying information in the document you upload via Turnitin.
Due, March 21 at 11:59 p.m.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more